Thursday 17 September 2015

Moeen: What a summer

Moeen Ali is blogging exclusively for ecb.co.uk this summer. Here he reviews an exciting summer and looks ahead to the upcoming Test series against Pakistan in the United Arab Emirates.
This is my last blog of the summer, and thinking about all the matches, going right back to where we were before the Lord’s Test against New Zealand in May, it feels like we’ve come a long way.
I know it was a disappointing finish in Manchester on Sunday. Not just losing the game but the way we lost it, after coming back from 2-0 down to be level going into that last match. We didn’t really compete, because we just didn’t bat well.
But I hope people don’t think that takes too much of the shine off all the good times we’ve had.
It’s not just the results – although I think most people would have been happy with the wins we’ve had, in the Ashes and the one-day and T20 series against New Zealand, as well as the T20 against Australia and drawing the Test series against New Zealand.
It also feels like we’ve got the fans back. Not that that they weren’t behind us before, but maybe in the winter we lost that closeness. Being in and around the guys and the supporters now it’s a great feeling. That does give us a massive support in such a big series.
For me I’ll never forget taking the catch at Lord’s for the last wicket against New ZealandFor me I’ll never forget taking the catch at Lord’s for the last wicket against New Zealand
It isn’t easy picking out highlights, but I think I’d have to start with Broady’s eight wickets at Trent Bridge. He basically won us the Ashes in that hour and 10 minutes, and I think even as it was happening we knew it was a bowling performance you’ll only ever see once in your whole life.
After that we had the series, and all those great feelings, and the atmosphere being out there in the middle which was phenomenal.
For me I’ll never forget taking the catch at Lord’s for the last wicket against New Zealand. That was one of my best feelings ever on a cricket pitch, especially after the way the game had gone. Beating the Australians in the Twenty20 and getting a few runs, that was great as well. The second day at Cardiff, when I got 70-something and then picked up Michael Clarke and Steve Smith. Bowling with Adil Rashid in the one-dayer at Old Trafford. They’ve all been great feelings.
It’s definitely been a full-on summer since getting selected back in May. It’s nice because it keeps you busy, and I do really enjoy it. But I’m cherishing these two weeks I’ve got now before we head off to the UAE. I’ll do a little bit of practice and training but really it’s the chance to spend some time with my family before the start of a busy winter away. I hope the Worcestershire supporters understand that, because I’ll always love playing for the club but now I do need the break.
Beating the Australians in the Twenty20 and getting a few runs, that was great as wellBeating the Australians in the Twenty20 and getting a few runs, that was great as well
I know there’s been a lot of talk about the chance of me opening in the Tests against Pakistan, but nobody’s said anything to me about it. It’s not been discussed – not with me, anyway. As I’ve said before, I’m happy to bat wherever. But if I was told I was opening I’d be confident in my ability to handle it. We’ll see what happens.
There was another guy selected in the squad yesterday who opens - Zafar Ansari. I was really pleased for him, he’s a great guy. When people talk about him it always seems to be about his intelligence. He is a clever guy, but he’s a great guy too. I’ve done a couple of sessions with him and like he says, it could be fun having three spinners out in the UAE with me, him and Adil. Hopefully his injury is not too serious. 
Then there’s Alex Hales, who is an exciting opening batter and another guy I get on really well with. It’s an exciting squad when you look at it, and an exciting tour – something completely different from what we’ve experienced this summer, and a big challenge for us. But that can wait for a week or two.
Like I said earlier, it’s been a great summer. Thanks for all your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment